:: 한국기독교장로회총회 ::

<서신>버락 오바마 미합중국 대통령에게 보내는 한국기독교장로회 평화촉구서신

관리자 2013-09-12 (목) 11:03 10년전 5738  
  PROKLettertoUSPresidentBarackObama.doc (35.0K), Down : 14, 2013-09-12 11:03:24
11 September 2013
Your Excellency President Barack Obama
United States of America

Dear President Barack Obama,

There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.   Luke 12:2.

Warmest greetings in God’s peace!

I am Rev. Bae Tae-Jin, the General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK). As a leader of our church, I am deeply concerned with the ongoing threats to global peace, justice and people’s security. Our church professes and bears witness to the enduring and sustainable peace that Jesus Christ represents.

I am sending a public letter to you and your government. Especially I urge the presidential pardon for PFC Bradley Manning and compassion for Edward Snowden who is determined to challenge injustice and falsehood.

First, I seek clemency and urge the pardon for PFC Bradley Manning who exposed the ugly crimes committed by the U.S. forces in the Iraq War.

I have known that Bradley Manning has been found guilty and penalized to 35 years imprisonment for violating the United States’ Espionage Act, stealing government property, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, multiple counts of disobeying orders. His lawyer has already recommended and applied for presidential pardon and I support this move to grant him pardon. 

I am impressed by your first inaugural speech as the newly elected president of the United States, when you said, “Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.”

I had high hopes for your leadership and with much anticipation that your administration will put in place a different strategy from your predecessors, one that upholds the sovereignty of nations, protects the basic freedoms of U.S. citizens and through broader diplomatic processes advocates for just-peace in many countries around the world. This positive expectation has been compounded in what you have said in your second term inaugural address,

“We will begin to responsibly leave Iraq to its people, and forge a hard-earned peace in Afghanistan. With old friends and former foes, we will work tirelessly to lessen the nuclear threat, and roll back the specter of a warming planet . . .”

The promise you have made led me to believe that it would be matched with specific policy recommendations and conscientious actions to realize denuclearization process and the thawing of diplomatic relations with countries and states that are considered enemies of the U.S. I have fervently prayed for you and your administration.

But I have been very concerned, as I observed the geo-political and military strategy the United States government has been pursuing causes tension in the Korean Peninsula and attempts for peace and security made by the previous U.S. administrations unfortunately resulted in wars of aggression against sovereign nations and states and brought about unprecedented violence such as mass killings of civilian populations and influx of refugees in the neighboring territories and countries.

In Korea, there are generations who are still alive from Korean War. I who grew up hearing the stories of war from childhood know very well that how the war can make human beings evil. Even in the extreme situations such as war, I am strongly against war crimes that destroy the goodness and the image of God in human beings, and dehumanize human beings. War of aggression cannot go unpunished and should not be engaged in in the name of national security. It should not be motivated by economic benefits.   

So, I support the courageous determination of PFC Bradley Manning in disclosing the crimes committed in Iraq war and urge you to grant him presidential pardon.

Second, I would like to request that you extend a compassionate heart to Edward Snowden.

I request a compassionate heart to Snowden who now is a refugee in Russia because he disclosed national violence.

I am absolutely against the United States’ sponsored wars of aggression in many countries around the world. These are wars that violate national sovereignty of nations, indiscriminately harm, maim and kill civilians. Also, I am strongly opposed to the psychological warfare that the U.S. government is carrying out such as surveillance of ordinary citizens’ private information. This is a form of state violence and this is immoral.

Even though Snowden knew that he would go through huge sufferrings by exposing the realities of national security investigation, he had extraordinary determination to demonstrate truth. By Snowden’s disclosure, USA, regarded as the leading nation of the world, lost trust of friendly nations as well as it started to be regarded as an immoral nation among other nations including China.

On the surface, this situation is caused by Snowden’s disclosure, but this has revealed more weighty matters that can imperil the lives of many people. I would like to remind you of the Bible passage in Luke 12:2, “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.” The United States should be transparent in its government policies and refrain from encroachment into the private information of ordinary people.

In order for the United States to regain the trust and confidence of the international community, your government should correct its practices that has brought many injustices to its citizens and nations and work towards just and democratic policies, rather than being outweighed by the economic benefits of existing policies.

It is my best hopes and prayers that you and the United States’ government will work toward the respect for human rights of U.S. citizens and of all people, and realization of enduring and sustainable just-peace around the world.

Very sincerely yours,

REV. BAE TAE-JIN
General Secretary
The Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea

<한글번역>
친애하는 버락 오바마 미합중국 대통령께

“감추인 것이 드러나지 않을 것이 없고 숨긴 것이 알려지지 않을 것이 없나니
(누가복음 12:2)”

하나님의 평화가 당신과 함께 하시길 빕니다.
한국기독교장로회 총무 배태진 목사입니다. 나는 본 교단의 총무로서 현재 벌어지고 있는 전 지구적 평화와 정의와 인간의 안보가 위협받고 있음을 심히 염려하고 있습니다. 우리교단은 예수 그리스도가 몸으로 보여주신 항구적이고 지속가능한 평화에 대한 증언을 고백하며 실천해왔습니다.

다름이 아니오라, 당신과 당신의 행정부에 공식 촉구서한을 보냅니다. 특별히 불의와 거짓에 대해 정직한 결단을 내린 두 사람, 메닝 일병의 사면과 스노든 씨의 선처를 촉구합니다.

첫째, 전쟁 중에 자행된 추악한 범죄를 고발한 메닝 일병의 사면을 촉구합니다.

그는 간첩의 혐의로 35년형을 받고 감옥에 수감되어 있습니다. 나는 귀국의 사법부가 메닝 일병이 전쟁 범죄를 고발하였다는 이유로 중형에 처한 것에 대해 유감을 표하며, 당신이 메닝 일병의 사면에 힘써 줄 것을 요청합니다.

나는 당신이 미합중국의 대통령에 당선되어 취임식에서 다음과 같이 한 말에 매우 큰 기대를 했습니다. “앞선 세대들이 미사일과 탱크뿐만 아니라 견고한 동맹과 지속적인 신념들을 통해 파시즘과 공산주의를 제압했던 사실을 떠올려 보십시오. 그분들은 힘만으로는 우리 자신을 보호할 수 없으며 또한 힘만으로는 우리가 원하는 대로 할 수 있는 권한을 부여받을 수 없다는 점을 이해하고 있었습니다. 대신 그분들은 우리가 힘을 신중히 사용함으로써 힘이 더 커진다는 사실과 함께 우리가 가진 대의의 정당함과 본보기로서의 힘과 겸손과 절제의 온순한 성품으로부터 우리의 안보가 확보될 수 있다는 사실을 알고 있었던 것입니다.”
나는 당신이 훌륭한 리더십을 통해 당신이 이전의 정책과는 다르게 다른 나라들의 주권을 존중하고 미국 시민의 기본적 자유를 보호하며 폭넓은 외교력을 통하여 전 세계 각 나라의 정의평화를 옹호할 것이라고 기대했습니다. 취임사에서 당신이 “우리는 책임 있게 이라크를 이라크 국민들에게 넘겨주고 어렵게 얻어낸 아프가니스탄의 평화도 굳건히 다지기 시작할 것입니다. 우리는 오래된 우방들은 물론이고 과거의 적국들과도 함께 손을 맞잡아 핵 위험을 줄이고 지구 온난화의 망령을 쫓아내기 위해 쉬지 않고 노력할 것입니다.”라고 말하였을 때, 앞에서 한 당신의 약속이 구체적인 행동과 정책으로 지켜질 것이라고 믿게 되었으며, 당신과 당신의 행정부를 위해 기쁜 마음으로 기도하였습니다.

그러나 염려스러운 것은, 한반도의 지정학적 위치와 미국 정부의 군사전략이 한반도의 긴장을 초래해 왔으며, 이전의 미행정부의 평화와 안보에 대한 시도는 물거품이 되고, 불행하게도 다른 주권국가에 대한 침략전쟁을 수행하여 무고한 시민들을 집단적으로 살상하여 수많은 난민들이 발생하고 있다는 것입니다.

한국에는 전쟁을 겪은 세대들이 아직 생존해 있으며, 어릴 때부터 그 이야기들을 듣고 자란 나는, 전쟁이 얼마나 인간을 사악하게 만들어 가는지를 잘 알고 있습니다. 아무리 전쟁이라는 극단의 경우에도, 인간성을 파괴하고, 인간 속의 신성을 파괴하며, 인간을 악마로 만들어가는 전쟁범죄에 대해서는 단호히 배격합니다. 단지, 전쟁 중이었다는 것이 전쟁범죄에 대한 면죄부가 되지 못하며, 전쟁범죄는 국가이익이나 안보를 빌미로 덮을 수 있는 것이 아니며, 덮어서도 아니 됩니다.
그러하기에, 전쟁 중에 자행된 범죄를 고발한 메닝 일병의 용기있는 결단을 지지하며, 그의 선처를 촉구합니다.

둘째, 미 국가안보국의 불법적인 사찰 행위를 고발한 스노든 씨에 대한 선처를 촉구합니다.

나는 당신이 국가폭력에 대해 고발한 이유로 망명 중인 스노든 씨에 대해서도 선처를 취해 줄 것을 요청합니다.

나는 국가 간 폭력의 행사인 전쟁에 대해서도 반대하지만, 국가가 구성원을 감시하고 통제하는 국가폭력에 대해서도 강력히 반대합니다. 이는 미국 내의 문제만이 아니라, 세계 여러 국가에 대한 비도덕적 폭력이기도 합니다.

노벨 평화상 후보로 추천되기도 한 그는, 엄청난 고난을 당할 것을 뻔히 알면서도 미 국가안보국의 사찰 실태를 폭로한 것은 진실을 지켜내기 위한 비상한 결단이었습니다.
스노든의 폭로로 세계의 지도 국가를 자처해온 미국은 우방국들의 신뢰를 잃는 한편 중국을 포함한 세계 여러 국가들 사이에서 비도덕적 국가로 여겨지게 된 셈입니다.
이는 표면적으로 스노든의 폭로 때문이기는 하나, 실상 “감추인 것이 드러나지 않을 것이 없고 숨긴 것이 알려지지 않을 것이 없나니(누가복음 12:2)” 하신 성서의 말씀을 기억하길 바랍니다. 미 행정부는 불의한 행위 앞에 그 어떤 불이익에도 불구하고 진실의 목소리를 낸 스노든을 처벌하려 할 것이 아니라, 잘못된 행위에 대해 겸허히 사죄하고 다시는 이런 일이 일어나지 않도록 재발 방지책을 제시해야 할 것입니다.
미 행정부가 국제관계의 신뢰를 얻으려면, 불의와 거짓으로 왜곡된 현실을 바로잡고 실리보다는 정의로운 정책을 실현해야 할 것입니다.

아무쪼록, 당신과 미합중국의 정부가 한반도와 전 세계의 항구적이고 지속적인 정의평화의 실현을 위하여 일해주기를 기도하며 그곳에 하나님의 축복이 임하시기를 진심으로 빕니다.

2013년 9월 12일

한국기독교장로회 총회 총무 배태진

hi
이전글  다음글  목록 글쓰기
츲ҺڻȰ ⵵ ȸ ѱ⵶ȸȸȸ ()ظ ѽŴѵȸ μȸڿȸ ȸ б ѽŴб ûȸȸ ŵȸ ŵȸ ȸÿ ѱ⵶ȸȸͽп